Wednesday, 30 September 2015

Book Review: Landline by Rainbow Rowell


I am a self confessed fan of Rainbow Rowell, 'Fangirl' and 'Eleanor and Park' are two of my favourite books that I have ever read! So when I started to hear about 'Landline' as being something more adult I had to give it a go. 

The thing that I love about Rainbow Rowell's books is that she has this incredible way with creating characters which are so real and loveable that you need to read until the end just to see if they are ok. She showed off this talent even further in 'Landline' as a huge part of the book is just phone calls between the main character Georgie and her husband Neal, but even through this you feel as if they are real people as their personalities are so complete down to the minute detail. 

The concept of the story is that Georgie discovers a 'magic' landline in her family home where she can call Neal from the past which she uses to change the mess they have found themselves in in present day. I have to be completely honest and say that this just didn't work for me. I didn't really get the whole idea for a long time and thought it kind of detracted from the many other parts of the plot such as Georgie's job writing an up and coming show, her dysfunctional family and the strained relationship with her husband. The use of the phone calls was a really clever way for Rainbow to form her characters and their relationship but personally I don't really think the time travelling bit was necessary.

That being said it was definitely was it was hyped up to be: a signature Rainbow Rowell book but with an adult spin with much more adult problems. It was really enjoyable to read and to get to know these characters who were really three dimensional and interesting. 

Rainbow also has another book out called 'Attachments' which is said to be similar in the sense that it's adult rather than YA so I will definitely be giving that a go. I'm desperately trying to catch up before she releases any more so I can truly call myself a superfan which I most definitely am.

Leave me a comment to let me know if it is just me who didn't get the whole magical phone thing, or if you've read 'Attachments' and think it's worth a read!

Remember you can also follow me on BlogLovin and Twitter so you will never miss a post! 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© What Does Mel Think?. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig