Thursday, 22 January 2015

Book Review: How to Build a Girl


This book was a Christmas present from my parents and I was SO excited to read it, I had heard all about 'How to Be a Woman' and was getting round to reading that but then this came out and I was set on reading it first. I have to admit I didn't realise it was fiction (I know you're all face-palming) but this little surprise was very welcome as soon as I started reading it.

The book follows the journey of Johanna Morrigan as she aspires to become a music journalist. Automatically this peeked my interest (hello... journalism...)  and the way Moran writes is just so enjoyable that I could not put it down. I love how she isn't at all phased by some of the topics most of us would cringe at (for example masturbation, which she throws in in the opening sentence). Also, she writes things that are so true! At one point she is describing Johanna walking down the street and she wrote about the common teenage misconception that everyone is always watching and judging you . It makes you actually laugh out loud because you know you think in this way too.

I believe this story is loosely based on Moran's own experiences, however she assures us her parents were so awful as poor Johanna's. I love the moral that the things that happen in our lives are all pieces towards a larger puzzle of wisdom.

And on that rather deep note, I urge you to give this book a read! I feel like I really learnt a lot about just letting go and taking life as it comes. I'm a strong believer in fate and I think sometimes we need to just let things happen, no matter how scary or strange they seem at the time.

Have you read Caitlin Moran's new book? If so let me know what you thought of it! Or also if you've read 'How to Be a Woman' tell me if it's worth a read or if it would go right over my head as I wouldn't particularly class myself as a woman yet.
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. This sounds really good, and it's so true about thinking everyone is judging you, I had a bad habit for that when I was a teenager!
    I'm going to look out for this.

    Meme xx
    http://thedayinthelifeofmexoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally worth it for both enjoyment and also learning quite a lot about confidence!

      Delete
  2. YES YES YES I WANT TO READ THIS. I saw the author on a show with Pewdiepie the Youtuber, and Ithink this book looks super interesting!

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's hilarious isn't she! I would looove to meet her one day, she seems so genuine :D

      Delete

© What Does Mel Think?. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig